At The Real Times Publications (TRT) online magazine, our mission statement is simple: to EDUCATE while we ENTERTAIN. Our goal is to combine helpful information, thought-provoking commentary, and the reader’s input with humor, hopefully to the enjoyment and benefit of our readership. We educate by providing our readers, particularly our young adult readers, informative articles to help navigate through the challenges of life. We will entertain by providing our readers with a forum to express their undiscovered talents, especially musically. Through our exclusive association with 4Ward Entertainment Management, our readers will be able to follow first hand “up and coming” artists in the Hip Hop and R & B industry. You might even get “put on!” We definitely intend to keep it Real, so hit us up!


Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Ms Miami Interview

Ms MIAMI - A Real Life Biker Boy (C)
A TRT 'On 2 Wheels' Exclusive Interview

By: "The Real" Jeff Stewart

As you can see this biker is no boy! I met Ms Ortiz, AKA Ms. MIAMI, the Latin Jefe (Boss) back in December 2008. This dude I’d ridden with a couple of times asked me if a young lady he knew could roll with me and the fella’s the next time went riding. She was somewhat new to the area, and was looking for bikers to cut corners with. Itold him no problem, but really I was
thinking I hope this chick can keep up! The day Dee (her nickname) and I met she went riding with my crew on her two month old Suzuki GSXR 750. What an introduction it turned out to be; she saw first hand me falling off my Busa – I crashed that day and she was right behind me. I thought that was the last we’d seen of her. My bike was in pieces and blood all over my jeans and boots from a hole in my knee, but she didn’t flinch. Oh yeah by the way, she can handle that Gixxer! She kept in touch while my bike was in the shop and she’s been one of the
crew every since. Dee is sorta quiet and laid back but also very interesting when she did open up. So I asked her if I could interview her for TRT’s ‘ON 2 WHEELS’ and to my surprise she said ‘cool’. Check her out . .

The Real Deal

The obvious first question is how long have you been riding?
“I’ve been riding for roughly 2 yrs now minus a 15 month deployment by the Army.”
How & when did you develop an interest in motorcycling?
“I think I developed an interest at a very early age when my aunt took me on the back of her bike when I was 11. I just loved the adrenaline rush of being on the road so freely. It wasn’t till about 11 yrs later that that interest resurfaced and I got more serious about actually getting one.”
How does your man (sorry fella’s!) feel about you riding, especially since he doesn’t own a bike?
“He’s cool with it. He actually wants to get one too one day, but times are tough and he’s in school. He’s more into the chopper scene though but it’s all good. I can’t hold that against him!”:D

You’re in the Army – What made you decide to enlist, how long have you been in, and how do your Army buddies and coworkers react when they find out you ride a sport bike?
“I joined because I thought that this was the life for me. I wasn’t going
to college and I didn’t wanna work at (fast food) for the rest of my life. I’ve been in for 6 yrs so far. Most of my friends react the same way anyone else would react when they find out a female rides. They gimme that look like “really?” - “Yeah really!!!”


Is this your first bike?
“This is actually my second bike. My first was a Kawasaki ZZR600 and even though I loved riding, I wasn’t really feeling that bike. So I traded it out for my GSX-R 750 which I love to death. He’s my boo! Johnny Goodlove, that’s what I call him.” (Hmm – Johnny Goodlove? sounds kinda corny!)

Do you feel there are any advantages or disadvantages of being a female biker?
“I don’t think of myself as being at an advantage or disadvantage cuz I’m a chick. I make rookie mistakes jus like any other rider but that’s the best way to learn.”

You ride mostly with guys – is this by choice or is it difficult to find women to ride with?
“I’ve found it really difficult to find other female riders. Most of the ones I have ridden with ride like ‘lil’ girls. I’m not down with that. I like to gun it with the guys.”
Do you feel female bikers in general have to prove they can ride with the boyz?
“That seems to be the stigma, but guys have to prove themselves too. I’ve ridden with a few guys that ride like sissies so it’s nothing new to me.”

You have ridden with females before though – so which do you prefer, riding with the guys or the girls?
“Definitely the guys! They ride more my style. I don’t like to ride like a pansy ass, like I’ve seen a lot of women ride. I don’t like to generalize but it seems to be the case more often than not.”

You attended your first Atlantic Beach Bike Week (also known as Black Bike Week) in Myrtle Beach in May 2009 – How was that experience?
“It was interesting but I wish they would have had more biker shit to do. It was a good experience overall, though.”

Unfortunately you had a front row seat when I crashed my Busa. What was going through your mind at the time; that is, besides trying not to run over me?
“Yeah that was a crazy experience. I just kept thinking “did that really just happen?!?!” It was all too surreal. It’s kinda funny looking back at it now. You came down real funny, kinda like you were praying to God. Maybe he heard you!”

Any crashes, falls, or near misses of your own you want to confess too?
“Other than the occasionally dropping of the bike and getting cut off but idiot drivers, I’ve only fallen once. I don’t think it was really a big deal. I was coming up on a red light and I started slowing down. As I was braking I hit a puddle and hydroplaned. Not even one second later I was laid out on the road. I wasn’t going fast at all so I didn’t cause too much damage. My frame slider came right off and I cracked the fairing and part of the engine case. All I can remember thinking was my poor bike. I wasn’t even concerned about myself! That was on my old bike though, and I traded it in 2 days later. Guess it was a sign to get rid of it.”
You were involved in a high speed chase involving the cops and you got caught – tell us about that incident.
“That was a $7,500 (fines and legal fees) mistake I’ll never make again. I (was speeding and) basically just gunned it when I saw those flashing lights. Didn’t think they were gonna chase me but they did. I came up on a red light and didn’t wanna chance it so I turned into a residential are. I had a red visor and it was nighttime so I couldn’t see if they were still behind me. So I pulled into a driveway, hoping they’d ride right past me but that didn’t happen. A few seconds later they were arresting me. That’s an experience I’ll never forget!”
Was there any fallout, either on the job or at home from that incident?
“I was definitely labeled a rebel child for that incident. My unit treated me
like the world’s worst criminal but they couldn’t really do anything since I hadn’t been to court yet. They just banned me from driving on post and gave me 45 days restriction. I kept pushing my court date back till I deployed so that really pissed them off. Everyone pretty much forgot about it by the time we got back”
(15 months later.)

Any advice for a female who’d like to own a sport bike but maybe is a little apprehensive, or just plain scared?
“If she’s scared already then she’s getting off on the wrong foot. This ain’t a sport for the faint of heart. I think every rider has to have respect for the road cuz mistakes are that much more dangerous for us, but as far as advice goes; just get on and ride out. All that fear will go right out the window once you start having fun.”


Editor’s Note:
Dee, 25, is an Information Systems Analyst for the Army. She was born and raised by her Colombian mom in Miami, FL, along with her 2 siblings. (Her father was also from Colombia.) After doing 15 months in Iraq for Uncle Sam, she is currently stationed at Ft Hunter in Savannah GA. All the sport bike riders here in the 912 that have ridden with Dee know and respect her abilities on a motorcycle. She attends the local bike nights and goes everywhere the crew goes. She gets teased just like everybody else and can dish it out as well. Her goal is to attend UTI and become a certified motorcycle mechanic, then open up her own shop in her hometown of Miami. She also wants to learn to ‘stunt’ and build a stunt bike. Don’t get it twisted though; Dee is a lady and all women. But when she’s riding with the crew she’s just one of the boyz. And that’s FOR REAL!!

* Ms Ortiz and the staff at TRT Publications do not advocate speeding and trying to evade law enforcement. Dee admits it was a mistake and encourages all riders to abide by the traffic law of your state or county.

***Post Script***
On August 20th, 2009 around 9PM Dee was involved in a fatal motorcycle accident while riding on I -516 in Savannah, GA. Paramedics arrived within minutes but were unable to revive her and she died at the scene. Our thoughts and prayers are with her and her family.

This copywrited material my not be used without the expressed or written consent of TRT Publications. For more information contact “The Real” Jeff Stewart at trtpub@gmail.com









No comments:

Post a Comment