At The Real Times Publications (TRT) online magazine, our mission statement is simple: to EDUCATE while we ENTERTAIN. Our goal is to combine helpful information, thought-provoking commentary, and the reader’s input with humor, hopefully to the enjoyment and benefit of our readership. We educate by providing our readers, particularly our young adult readers, informative articles to help navigate through the challenges of life. We will entertain by providing our readers with a forum to express their undiscovered talents, especially musically. Through our exclusive association with 4Ward Entertainment Management, our readers will be able to follow first hand “up and coming” artists in the Hip Hop and R & B industry. You might even get “put on!” We definitely intend to keep it Real, so hit us up!


Friday, October 16, 2009

What Had Happened Wuz . . .


A TRT "My Hood Story" Exclusive
Denise Milligan - In Her Own Words

Denise "Niecey" Milligan, 21 of Landover MD

By "The Real" Jeff Stewart

I come across a lot of interesting people in my travels and “Niecey” was no exception. With a chip on her shoulder, (make that a block of wood) this chick don’t play. I met Denise at Black Bike Week in Myrtle Beach, SC. We struck up a conversation because both our trucks had MD tags. I asked her what high school she had attended and she told me Fairmont Heights, located in a suburb of Washington DC. By coincidence The same high school 4ward Entertainment Mgmt CEO and my college classmate Rick Lee attended. I had gone to Largo Sr High in Upper Marlboro, MD; another DC suburb (many, many, many years ago.) Denise graduated from Fairmont Heights in 2006, and she started telling me stories of life for her in high school, and how much hell she raised. Now her two younger sisters were students at the same high school. They were having problems with some of the same cliques big sis had run-ins with when she was a student. So Niecey told me one day she decided to go up to the school and “set them b*tches straight.” Well, I’ll let her tell you “What Had Happened.” This is her story . . .

What Had Happened Wuz . . .
A True Tale from the hood By Denise Milligan

In January 2008 I got locked up on my mother’s birthday. What had happened was my younger sister called me up to my old high school, Fairmont Heights because some of the girls I had problems with when I was in school was picking with them. When I got to the school I wanted to talk to my old principal and ask her why after all these years these girls keep picking with my sisters? But she had me waiting too damn long. So I went down to the cafeteria to see if my sisters were in there and they was. When I walked in the cafeteria all you heard was "all sh*t Denise here." I spoke to some of the staff & students & asked them where my sisters were. I’m thinking to myself “let one of these b*tches pop off while I'm in here and I'm going to beat their banana asses today!” So I guess one of the girls I had problems with felt intimidated or should I say bold & started talking sh*t while walking towards me. I stopped & turned around to see who she was talking to and to my surprise it was me!


By then my sisters were standing by me. When (the girl) got close enough she found the balls to swing at me but she missed. How do you swing on somebody & miss!? So when she did that I just went into my mode (?) and saw red. Just as I was about to swing back at her my 18 year old sister just flew out the nowhere & caught her with a blow to the face and so did I. I guess these others girls felt like fighting my sisters so they jumped in as well. As I’m beating the first girls ass that swung on me I’m saying to her "yeah b*tch I got that ass now!"


By now people had their phones out taking pictures and recording it. Not one of her friends jumped in it. Then I started beating the 2nd girl’s ass and saying to her "so you want an ass whooping like your punk ass friend to huh!? All of a sudden I saw this big ass object coming towards me on my right side. When I realized that it was this big ass, no a HUGE girl I swear everything went into slow motion like in the movies. I’m saying to myself "noooooo." So I stopped on the 2nd girl and caught the big chick with a couple shots to the face. After a little workout with the 3rd girl – I was punching and kicking her big ass - I was saying to her "you f*cking b*tch, ain’t nobody tell your big ass to jump in" and I knocked her out.


Next thing I know me & my sisters are being grabbed by security. My principal was trying to get smart while I was in the security office so I said to her "well b*tch if you knew how to diffuse problems in your school then I wouldn’t have to come up here and beat b*tches ass." Next thing I knew one of the school’s female security officers that I respected and I was so cool with was like "I’m sorry to do this to you baby girl, but I need for you to remove this that and the 3rd". The whole time I was cool with the situation because she was doing her job & I did my job by beating up some of the girls I could not stand with a passion.


As I’m walking out the security room some of the students were like "damn Denise, they locking you up?" Me being me I busted out laughing and said "yeah they locking me up." So I guess that pissed the police officer off so he said me "so you think its funny?" and I said "hell yeah!” I went to jail and got processed but I didn’t have to take a picture and then I waited to see a commissioner. While I was waiting this female inmate was cussing out an officer and then she crapped and pissed on herself. I was like "OMG....no she didn’t just do that!” Then the inmate says to the officers "hey come clean my sh*t up & wipe my ass!" Everybody started laughing like crazy in the jail. But while I was waiting to be seen I was hungry like hell. They gave us these dry sandwiches. I looked at it and was like "what the hell am I going to do with this?” So instead I used the sandwiches as a pillow.


I was praying asking God please let the commissioner be a male and damn surely it was. So he let me off on PR (personal release) for those who don’t know what PR is. I didn’t get home till 12 midnight and was in the jail since 10 that morning. My main charge was 2nd degree assault but when I went to court twice for it my charge it was dismissed. My experience going to jail was wild but I damn surely DO NOT - I repeat DO NOT want to go back. I wasn’t scared at all but jail is not for me or anybody.


People say in life think before you react but if you’re in the moment like I was all that flies out the door. However pretty much don’t do something that might cost you to lose your freedom. So that’s what had happened . . .

* Editor’s Note *

When I first heard Denise’s story I thought this would make a funny hood story for the “What Had Happened Wuz...” section of TRT Magazine. I let a couple folks read the rough draft and one of the comments was how sad that situation was. “Damn it” I thought to myself; now I gotta take this funny sh*t and turn it into some kind of social commentary on the struggles people face everyday in the “hood”.
So the questions we should ask ourselves is why is this accepted as everyday life in some communities, how do we change that mindset and what is the aftermath when a situation like this occurs? Obviously I’m not going to solve such a complex issue here. I just want people to think about how this affects their community. I believe that for the most part people are victims of their environment and that a person is molded by their surroundings, their own experiences and those of the people around them. So how does someone living this life break the chain?
Denise appeared to be a bright, intelligent young woman who grew up in a difficult environment. The manner in which she told her story was funny and (unfortunately) entertaining. She definitely showed some skill in that area. I can only imagine what positive things four years of college might do for her. Although Niecey told her story with humor and honesty, she wants it understood that jail is no laughing manner. And while she pointed out the difficulty of making the right decision in the heat of the moment, she acknowledges the sometimes severe reality of not doing so. So in the aftermath let’s look at the negative impact these situations can have. Let’s take for example a typical job application. Every application has that standard question “Have you ever been arrested?” The choices we make… well you know the rest - and thats for REAL !

This copyrighted article, its contents and pictures are the exclusive property of TRT Publications and may not be used without its consent. For comments, questions, more information permission to use this material contact “The Real” Jeff Stewart” at trtpub@gmail.com. Subscribers to this site will be notified by e-mail when new posts are available.





No comments:

Post a Comment